Re: CSS3 and better support for table free designs

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

>Hi, David,
>
>As far as I understand you are looking for something like this:
>http://terrainformatica.com/htmengine/v3/screens/sidebars.png
>
>Your layout can be implemented easily as
>
>body { flow: horizontal; height:100%; margin:0 }
>#left { width: 100px; }
>#middle { width: 100%% } - will take rest left from #left and #right
>#right  { width: 200px }

>flow:horizontal  changes flow of children in the block container from
>top-to-bottom to
>left-to-right with the same set of rules like margin collapsing.
>
>'flow' and  %% units are my personal invention - they are non standard.
>[ http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Jun/0054.html ]
>
>I heard rumors that somebody somewhere is designing css3-positioning
>module. I hope that there we will see something similar.
>
>Andrew Fedoniouk.
>http://terrainformatica.com
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I just subscribed to the list and have a question.
>>
>>Will CSS3 have better support for multiple column designs.
>>
>>I've been trying in vane to create a fluid design with CSS that's
>>mainly three column (left menu - content - right menu) without using
>>tables. What I also want is to be able to serve the columns in what
>>ever order I wish.
>>
>>Most likely content at the top of the code, then left menu, followed
>>by right menu using absolute positioning etc...
>>
>>So far I can manage this with a static design where the columns have
>>fixed widths, but fail when I try to give the design some fluidity so
>>more of the browser window is used.
>>
>>Will this be possible with CSS3?
>>
>>If you are interested in why I'd want to do this, it's for search
>>engine reasons. It's a common held belief that what's presented to the
>>search engine spiders first (at code level) is treated more important
>>than what comes at the base. With most designs this means the left
>>menu is read first and so the real content comes much further down the
>>page.
>>
>>I've created a fluid design that serves the content first for the site
>>in my sig, if I try to add a right menu it messes up. What I'd really
>>like is the left and right columns to be fixed and the centre content
>>column to be fluid, but with a minimum width and the right column not
>>wrapping under everything (this is apparently not possible in CSS2).
>>
>>Hope that makes sense :-)
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>David
>>-
>>http://www.search-engine-optimization-services.co.uk/

Sorry Andrew, but I think he was looking for a full compliant.

from memory only, and not trying:

enclose all main content in <div id="main_body">  (for my example)
left-sidebar <div id="left_sidebar">  and right sidebar <div
id="right_sidebar">

now these would be all at the same *scope* as far as child/parent nodes
are concerned.

#main_body {
    //nearly any style
}

#left_sidebar {
    float: left;
    width: //reasonable
}

#right_sidebar {
    float: right;
    width: //reasonable
}

something like that should work, as long as all three are on the same
scope, (if my tired mind still working right now) then they will float
at the top of content in all cases.   only warning is that they will
cause content reflow, and a UA which does progressive rendering of the
page (most if not all) and has some trouble when a reflow is caused
without Scripting code, this may be a slight issue for them.

~Justin Wood