Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

Ian Hickson wrote:

 > One of the prerequisistes for the test suite will be setting the default
 > colours to black text on white background, link colours to blue and
 > visited colours to purple, default font size to 16 pixels, resolution to
 > 96dpi, and various other such changes. If tests had to handle all the
 > various different kinds of setups, they would become ridiculously
 > complicated and require support for much more before being able to test
 > anything at all.

I have to confess, I don't understand this : there will be many, many
potential testers who do not have their browsers configured to meet
these requirements; why can the tests not start by defining settings
for the BODY and/or HTML regions which establishe this environment and
by displaying introductory material which can be used to verify that the
pre-test criteria are now met : the tests could then go on to test the
far more complex issues which they are designed to test without requiring
that all testers use the same baseline configuration.  Surely one of the
main points of the tests is to ensure that /no matter how/ a user may have
elected to configure his/her browser, certain effects can be reliably
accomplished using CSS ?

Philip TAYLOR