Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

On Friday, July 23, 2004, 2:57:52 PM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Thomas Scholz wrote:
>>
>> It's up to the browser developers to render perfect valid HTML documents
>> are moving targets, so I don't care anymore about the reasons for a bug.

IH> Actually they're pretty stable now.

Do they have actual documentation?

>> A bug is a bug is a bug. That's all I want to know. If tests had to
>> handle all the various different kinds of -- ahem --rendering modes,
>> they would become ridiculously complicated...

IH> You don't have to cope with lots of rendering modes. Just trigger
IH> standards more. To do that, just make sure the first thing in the document
IH> is an HTML4 Strict DOCTYPE.

Even if you don't conform to it. Its a flag, not a DOCTYPE. Apparently.

This becomes more of a problem when the XHTML DOCTYPES are used a s
flags - using a different one, which is perfectly legal, might or might
not trigger quirks mode.

Is there a list of these triggers? Per browser/os/version, obviously, I
don't imagine a single trigger works the same in all of them.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group