Re: CSS21 16.5 Capitalization text-transform

Sounds to me like this might be a candidate for a user preference, like
search.  Richard wants it one way, Tex wants it another way.  Neither is
wrong.

Tex Texin wrote:

> Not to my mind. We can change terms if that will be less confusing.
> Perhaps the source text vs. the transformed text? Or generated text?
>
> For all of the situations I can think of where an application throws text to a
> screen, the source is always irrelevant, and the clipboard receives the text
> represented on the screen, and stored appropriately in a storage format.
>
> If CSS changes case, or generates content before or after some portions of the
> source, I would expect the clipboard to receive the transformed and generated
> content. Not the source text ripped from the markup.
>
> To the extent clipboards support multiple formats and encodings of the same
> data, I have no objection (and in fact would like it) if the markup was stored,
> in addition to the text as I described it.
>
> In the case of bidi, I would expect the logical version of the rendered text to
> be stored on the clipboard. But I'll have to go do some testing to confirm what
> usually happens on bidi systems. maybe someone else can confirm what happens
> when you copy bidi text to the clpboard.
>
> tex
>
> Chris Lilley wrote:
>
>>On Friday, October 17, 2003, 2:07:52 AM, Tex wrote:
>>
>>TT> I wasn't proposing to change the source content. When text is highlighted and
>>TT> copied from a screen, I think users expect to have the visualized text on the
>>TT> screen, not the source. The visualized text is the content as far as they are
>>TT> concerned.
>>
>>Does that mean, to continue the logical vs visual concept, that bidi
>>text should also go on the clipboard in visual order?
>>
>>--
>> Chris                            mailto:chris@w3.org

telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
-Bjarne Stroustrup, designer of C++ programming language (1950- )