Re: A possible presentational hints proposal for CSS 2.1

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

> >  For HTML, any attribute that is not in the following list should be
> >  considered presentational: [...]
>
> If you write the other list, it would be shorter:

The idea was to set the default to be presentational, since so many
attributes are non-standard, and all the non-standard ones are
presentational.

> I wonder why alink and vlink are presentational, but text and link are
> not. Especially as background and bgcolor are presentational.

Oversight. Good catch, thanks.

> I also question the inclusion of 'span' and 'start' in the
> presentational list. One could also argue about 'size' when applied to
> the select element.

The list was designed to put as much as possible into the presentational
list. Start was taken out of HTML strict, so it seems definitely
presentational. I could see an argument for the cell spanning attributes,
but as they map directly to proposed CSS3 properties... *shrug*