Re: A possible presentational hints proposal for CSS 2.1

Hello Ian,
On Tuesday, October 8, 2002 you wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

>> >  For HTML, any attribute that is not in the following list should be
>> >  considered presentational: [...]

..

>> I also question the inclusion of 'span' and 'start' in the
>> presentational list. One could also argue about 'size' when applied to
>> the select element.

> The list was designed to put as much as possible into the presentational
> list. Start was taken out of HTML strict, so it seems definitely
> presentational.

As I understand it, that's the one thing that should be included again
in future XHTML versions. In many circumstances, numbering is *not*
presentational. The obvious example is legal documents.

>  I could see an argument for the cell spanning attributes,
> but as they map directly to proposed CSS3 properties... *shrug*

But HTML (even XHTML) documents should be usuable without the
associated stylesheet. CSS2.1 is about codifying the current
situation. IMHO start, span rowspan and colspan can not be missed.

Of course the inclusion in the list of presentational attributes
doesn't have any influence on standalone HTML documents, but I don't
think they should be marked as 'should not be used'.

Greetings,
 Rijk                            mailto:rijk@iname.com

Mot du Jour:
Tis better to be hunter than hunted.