Re: Scrollbar CSS representation [Re: Proposal]

James Aylard wrote:

>     Whether scrollbars are part of the document interface or the application
> interface is debatable. I can "turn off" scrollbars by tinkering with an
> element's overflow property (including that of the document as a whole); or
> I can create them, on a div, for instance. It seems that it's a little late
> to declare scrollbars outside the sphere of CSS's influence.

The scrollbars are under the influence of CSS, but they are not under
its control. There is nothing in the description of the 'overflow'
property to require scrollbars as the scrolling mechanism. It doesn't
even require that the scrolling mechanism be one visible on the screen.
"overflow: scroll" is not guaranteed to create scrollbars, even in a
graphical UA.