Re: CSS2 erratum: 'text-shadow' value definition

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Etan Wexler wrote:
> >
> > The incorrect value definition follows.

> > [...] I suggest the following, which corrects both problems.
> >
> > Value:        none | [ <shadow> , ]* <shadow> | inherit
> >
> > where <shadow> is
>
> Excluding the comma problem, which is indeed known (but thanks
> anyway!) what is the difference between the current spec and your
> proposal? I don't really understand what you are fixing...

Currently, you can set color without setting the offset, but the prose
requires the offset lengths.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/about.html#property-defs

|| means and/or (in any order)
So I can have a color, or the offset lengths (and optional blur), or both.
I'm not supposed to be able to set a color without any offset lengths.

By explicitly specifying the two possible positions for <color>, Etan is
removing the <color>-only option.