Re: New CSS utility: SelectORacle

    I thought I'd condense my replies into one post rather than
clutter the list with a bunch of messages, so:

At 12:35 +0000 4/14/01, Tim Bagot wrote:

>Just a guess: The Content-Type for the problematic style sheet is given as
>"text/css;charset=iso-8859-1"; is it the charset parameter that is causing
>the problem?

    That was it.  We were being a little too naive about our handling
of Content-Type.  It's been fixed, so it should be possible to
translate even the CPG stuff.  I also added a note to the effect that
while we accept any character encoding as input, the output is in
Latin-1.  It's lame, but it's a quick fix and it gets us going again.

At 7:47 -0500 4/14/01, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

>One thing that might be useful would be to color-code both the input
>selector and your output, so that, for instance, both "Selects any a
>element" and "a" would be red, "with a title attribute with a value that
>contains the word W3C" and "[title~="W3C"]" would be blue, and so on. I'm
>not sure how feasible that is.

    We considered something like this during development and dropped
it for a variety of reasons, most of which can be reduced to "we were
feeling lazy."  I actually plan to allow for different
user-selectable output presentation appearances using CSS (of
course!), so we'll drop in the structure needed to do as you suggest
and make it a theme.

At 15:45 +0200 4/14/01, Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:

>At some point you may want to fix this too :)
>
>    div.selector {backrground: silver; margin: 0;...
>--------------------^

    Doh!  Removed.

>And if you could find a way to keep the URL input text field inside the
>available canvas? As it is now it creates a side scroll bar in Opera
>5.10 and I don't think that is necessary.

    That's probably a result of me using the 'size' attribute on the
INPUT element, which I may or may not drop.  I'll have to think about
that for a bit.

>In fact the side scroll bar never goes away, even if I maximize Opera to
>all of my 1600x1200 VDU. O is pretty good at applying fully scalable
>layouts if its given a set of mathematically correct style rules.

    I'll have to play around with that.  I don't think I fed it much
of anything besides 'width: 100%;' declarations here and there, but I
may have done something silly.  I'll double-check and make sure.

    Thanks to everyone for the feedback!  I knew I could count on you
guys to stress-test our work...

--
Eric Meyer
Internet Applications Manager          e-mail: emeyer@theopalgroup.com