RE: Is there a way...

Jan Roland Eriksson [mailto:jrexon@newsguy.com] wrote:
>What will the upcoming MSIE6 do with e.g. the following?
>
>  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "+//IDN htmlc.cx//DTD RcM1.0//EN" [
>    <?ArcBase RcM>
>    .
>    ...lots of other architectural and notation stuff here...
>    .
>  >]
>  <HTML>
>  </HTML>

I presume you actually meant to put "]>" in line six, not ">]".

>This is a basic skeleton of what is known in SGML as an "architecture
>processing instruction". You can stay friendly by saying that MSIE6
will
>assume "full CSS compliant rendering mode", if not? well DocZilla and
>Opera are already usable to present documents with an "odd" prologue.

IE 6 will indeed assume CSS compliant mode.  However, it gets confused
by what it sees as nested angle brackets, and terminates the PI after
"RcM>".  (Note that we've never claimed to a full SGML processing engine
in IE, and it's highly unlikely that we ever will - as XML has largely
replaced SGML as a syntax language for markup schema.)

>>I suspect the CSS Working Group (which I have not been personally a
>>member of for over a year now) simply thought it would be a good idea
>>to correct the spec.
>
>They did not "correct it",
>they "fucked up" and that's all there is to it.

You should really moderate your language if you wish to be taken
seriously.

-Chris Wilson
 Program Manager
 Internet Explorer team