RE: Default XSL stylesheet for XHTML documents

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> There are a LOT of holes in browser printing support that would be
> considered show-stoppers in a word processor, much less a desktop
> publishing program.
>
> [...]
>
> Bottom line: browsers print well enough to let you read something
> offline. They don't print well enough to let you do professional
> quality work like TeX or Quark. That's where I see XSL-FO fitting in.

You're serious?

You are really telling me that because current UAs have some serious bugs
in printing, we should -- instead of fixing the bugs -- introduce a new
file format altogether?

What makes you think that we'll be able to implement printing of XSL:FOs
any better than CSS?

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'