RE: Default XSL stylesheet for XHTML documents

At 3:30 PM -0400 10/2/00, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
>Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>
>>  Which again begs the question: why hasn't anyone produced a decent
>>
>>     X(HT)ML + CSS -> PDF
>>
>>  converter?
>
>What about Adobe Acrobat?  Couldn't you just "print to PDF" from your
>favorite UA?

You could, and I think that's what people hope will eventually
happen; but the fact is even if tomorrow Netscape or IE suddenly
offered full and accurate support for CSS2, they will still wouldn't
be suitable for publishing. There are a LOT of holes in browser
printing support that would be considered show-stoppers in a word
processor, much less a desktop publishing program.

For instance, in Netscape 4 on the Mac if one page of the print out
goes a little too far over the right edge of the paper, then every
page printed out is doubled up with a blank page. There are a lot of
other little problems, as well as just a general cluelessness about
proper printing support.

Bottom line: browsers print well enough to let you read something
offline. They don't print well enough to let you do professional
quality work like TeX or Quark. That's where I see XSL-FO fitting in.
I want to be able to use one style sheet to produce an online book in
HTML+CSS and another to produce the PDF file I send to the printer.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/     |