Re: Floating objects

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>> Mozilla are using the prefix "-moz-" to any properties, e.g.
>>  text-align: -moz-center;
>>   -moz-rounded-corners: 43px;
> OK, thanks for the info! Have the mozilla crew (and other browser
> authors) published a list of their custom extensions?

Mozilla have not yet published documentation on their extensions,
because they have not finished writing them yet. For example, they are
currently changing many of their extensions to follow the CSS3
proposals.

Microsoft do indeed publish specs on their extensions, you will
probably find this on their developer site.

Netscape probably do as well, although I haven't checked.

Opera don't, to my knowledge, have any extensions.

> As it would probably be a good idea to support some of them :-)

No, it wouldn't. At least I would strongly recommend against doing so.

The Mozilla extensions, in particular, are only there so that they can
get their interface to look good -- since it is entirely styled using
CSS (and written in XML). The moment CSS has an equivalent to a
Mozilla extension, Mozilla will drop support for their extension and
support the standard instead.

In any case, I very much doubt that you will have full, unbuggy
support for all of CSS2 any time soon, and implementing extensions
before the standards support is done is silly at best! :-)

(No offence, BTW -- I base the above statement on the fact that since
CSS1's release in 1996, no browser (_no_ browser at _all_) has
succeeded in completely supporting CSS1. And CSS2 is orders of
magnitude bigger, so supporting that completely and flawlessly will
take a while! Of course, all power to you if you succeed...)

--
http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/        `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)