Re: Scale

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Chris Lilley wrote:

>> As far as I can tell it isn't possible to do this in CSS, but I would
>> suggest that this be included.
>
>width: 4in; height: 19cm
>
>Seems to do the trick, using CSS2 properties, or am I missing some
>subtlety?

Well, I wouldn't want to use the same technique to set the width and
height for a map of Ireland.  This is because the physical size of
Ireland is nothing like the size I'd suggest for a map of Ireland.  In
fact, I'd hope to avoid suggesting any size and letting the UA decide for
itself, probably based on the size of the browser window.

>> I don't think that "width" and "height" would be appropriate for this
>> use.
>
>That is what SVG uses.

Indeed, although I was referring to the CSS attributes (sorry for the
ambiguity).  What I'm suggesting wouldn't be needed if all <objects> with
a physical size were SVG objects; however, I would not use SVG for an
Escher print, or a photograph of a landscape.  Some file formats
(PostScript programs, SVG, TIFF for example) allow the user to indicate
the real-world size; not all do.

My suggestion needn't apply to files, either.  An applet running in the
browser might have a physical size.

For example, an applet that emulates the appearance of a piece of
hardware.  These already exist; I'd be very impressed if I could
configure my browser so that a video game emulator appeared at its
original size.  Of course, this already can be done using the width
property, but I would be reluctant to set a physical size for any element
in the kinds of style sheets I write (these are fairly basic).

--
mailto:isoma@compsoc.man.ac.uk - +447980408788 - Tim Bannister