Re: What's an em

Clive Bruton wrote:
> Isn't it conceivable that such an adjustment might actually render text
> that was meant as a headline/heading at a smaller size than continuous
> text on the same page?

Yes. But in that case, the heading would have been of a similar size to the
body text before the conversion.

Which is of course fine:

                  'The Elements of Typographical Style',
                   Second Edition">

  Don't permit titles to oppress the text. In books, spaced capitals
  of the text size and weight are often perfectly adequate for
  titles ...their problem is often that the title throws it weight
  around, unbalancing and discoloring the page ... One way to make
  heads prominent without making them large is to set them entirely
  in the margin.

I have used titles which were deliberately set smaller than the text, and
it seemed - judging by the comments of others - to have worked; a
combination of weight, small-caps, section numbering and color (of the
graphic design rather than typographic variety) serving to clearly indicate
function.

--
Chris