Re: CSS3: font-style

It seems like several people who are commenting on the "toggle" attribute
do not understand the utility of such a feature.  The examples people have
proposed really draw atention to this to me; the alternative CSS2
rules people have suggested and the alternative extensions, such as every
toggling every third instance, both fail solve the problem the "toggle"
attribute does.

So let me take a moment to draw attention to the problem:
  Because CSS is by definition a >>cascading<< stylesheet language, style
designers are required to make assumptions about default style for every
user, as well as the inherited style attributes for every instance of a
style.  In some of these cases, such as "font-style:italics;", there is no
way around the assumption (the assumption for italics is that the
surrounding text is not in italics).  In other words, not every CSS2
attribute has an option to define itself relative to it's parent.

Example Problem #1:

If an end-user sets their local stylesheet to:
  blockquote { font-style:italics; }
then the standard
  em { font-style:italics; }
fails to serve it purpose (to draw attention by being typed differently)
in the following example:

Example Problem #2:

Designers don't always have control of the content, so it is not always
possible to predict every rule necessary.  If I am the designer for a
web-based discussion board that allows simple HTML commands (such as
<em>), and I want to italicize replied (blockquoted) material, I fail to
convey the original meaning by not toggling italics:
My stylesheet:
  blockquote { font-style:italics; }
The original post:
  I <em>love</em> italics.
rendered as:

A reply to the original post:
  I <em>hate</em> italics.
rendered as:
  <!-- Note the double italics -->
So, in the above example, redefining <em> to "font-style:normal;" would
break the intent of "<em>hate</em>".  I don't think a designer should be
required to foresee all possible combinations that lead to such problems.

For all the above reasons, I strongly recommend an attribute such as
"font-style: toggle-italics;", as well as a thorough evaluation of all
other CSS attributes to insure we always prived a means for relative
defintions.

Andrew n marshall
 student - artist - programmer
  "Everyone a mentor,  Everyone a pupil"