From: Chris Ridd [mailto:Chris.Ridd@MessagingDirect.com]
Sent: 05 May 1999 13:02
To: Gussey, Suzanne
Subject: Re: linking to style sheets

On Wed, 05 May 1999 12:27:06 BST, "Gussey, Suzanne" wrote:
> I am trying to link to a basic style sheet that sits in a common area from
> numerous web pages in different directories.
>
> This works in IE but in Netscape if the .css file is not in the same
> directory I get an error the first time on accessing a page. This says
that
> it needs a plugin (x-pointplus) which is a java viewer for Powerpoint
> documents!. If you do cancel the file comes through but without the
> formatting from the style sheet. If you reload the page then it is fine.
>
> I don't want to have to put a copy of the .css file in each directory as
> that would partly defeat the purpose of using the style sheets as they
would
> all have to be changed in the future.
>
> Any ideas
>
> Regards
> Zan

Style sheets can of course be in different directories from the HTML
files.

Check the MIME type that your web server is configured to send back for
.css files. It is likely to be wrong. Internet Explorer incorrectly
ignores the MIME type sent to it by the server, and instead guesses
based on the file extension database in Windows. I don't know what
Netscape may be doing.

Chris