Re: On which font size is line-height based?

> From: rex@css.nu (Jan Roland Eriksson)
> Subject: Re: On which font size is line-height based?
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:56:28 GMT
>
> This passage in it self qualifies for a rewrite. To me it's not even
> clear if it is the "actual value" or the "computed value" that changes
> due to...
>
> "a numerical value on 'font-size-adjust' and the unavailability of
> certain font sizes"

> I can second that, with a slight emphasis on going for the "computed
> value" (finally rendered value, as I read that) of font-size. It seems

"Actual value" and "computed value" are defined in sections 6.1.2 and
6.1.3, the reverse of the way you want to see them.  Section 6.1.1
describes specified values, which I think are what you wanted actual
values to be.  The specified value is the cascaded value from the style
sheet, the inherited value, or the initial value. [1]  Computed value
is the value after relative units (em, %, etc.) and things like auto
have been applied. [2]  The actual value is "the computed value after
any approximations have been applied", [3] where approximations are
things like font-size substitions and rounding to whole pixels.

> to me as a UA that finds reason to change a font-size due to suggested
> size not being available, should also use that new font-size as the base
> for calculating line-height. The alternative seems to lead to a
> possibility for overlapping lines of text.

I completely agree.

David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#specified-value
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#computed-value