RE: RE: User Default Aural Cues

On Monday, November 24, 1997 2:12 AM, James Green [SMTP:jmkgre@essex.ac.uk]
wrote:
> I think audio cues and such like are a long way off right now.
> Remember, *a lot* of people still use Navigator v3 because it was the
> thing to have and works well. To start thinking about things like
> multimedia is to have everybody keep up with the latest browsing
> technology, and have the equipment to run it properly. Sure you could
> implement it for those people running MS Win95, but that's not creating
> a cross-platform implementation. The only justifyable solution right
> now is having a midi file which *many* people, *not* all, can hear.

No one is asking everyone to keep up with the latest technology.  Just
because HTML v4 came out doesn't mean we expect everyone to upgrade now.
 Likewise, when CSS is finalize, no one will be expecting the world to
change to the latest and greatest.  These standards (HTTP, HTML, CSS, ...)
are meant only to define how to deal with it, if and when it is available.
 That shouldn't deter us from just thinking about them.

In fact, it should encourage us to think about them now, before UA
programmers start to hundreds of non-standard tags.  That's exactly the
reason CSS deals with audio cues, voice synthesis, and sound
spatialization.

In addition, audio cues are meant specifically for pure audio renderings of
the content.  At least for now.

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
    http://www.media-electronica.com/anm-bin/anm