RE: Why isn't FunctionalProperty a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty?

At 23:03 +0000 3/4/03, Peter Crowther wrote:
>  > From: Dan Connolly [mailto:connolly@w3.org]
>>  > In the OWL Reference Version 1.0 document it defines
>>  TransitiveProperty
>>  > and SymmetricProperty as a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty.
>>
>>  Ooops... that seems like a bug... hmm...
>
>I suspect it depends on whether you're in DL or in Full.  It would seem
>a bit odd to me to have a transitive or a symmetric DatatypeProperty -
>what do they mean? - but then I'm a DL weenie :-).
>
>		- Peter

transitive datatype property is easy - zipcode in the same state

i.e.

if zipcode is a datatype property
and SameStateAs is a property with range:zipcode, domain:zipcode
  then saying
SameStateAs is transitive is useful

i.e.

20852 SameStateAs 20740
20740 SameStateAs 20861

therefore
20852 SameStateAs 20861

so I don't need an interstate shipping permit if sending a package
between 20852 and 20861.
  -JH
p.s. note that I cannot actually define a zipcode in OWL based on the
stuff about derived classes.  Assume, therefore, I just use
xsd:nonNegativeInteger and am careful to use only legal zipcodes.
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler