Re: Why isn't FunctionalProperty a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty?

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Subject: RE: Why isn't FunctionalProperty a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:15:27 -0500

> At 23:03 +0000 3/4/03, Peter Crowther wrote:
> >  > From: Dan Connolly [mailto:connolly@w3.org]
> >>  > In the OWL Reference Version 1.0 document it defines
> >>  TransitiveProperty
> >>  > and SymmetricProperty as a subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty.
> >>
> >>  Ooops... that seems like a bug... hmm...
> >
> >I suspect it depends on whether you're in DL or in Full.  It would seem
> >a bit odd to me to have a transitive or a symmetric DatatypeProperty -
> >what do they mean? - but then I'm a DL weenie :-).
> >
> >		- Peter
>
> transitive datatype property is easy - zipcode in the same state

In OWL DL, datatype properties relate objects to data values, not data
values to other data values, so your example doesn't work.

In OWL Full, as in RDF, data values cannot be subjects of triples, so,
although it could make sense to have a property whose domain was zipcodes,
you can do very little with it.  In particular, the ``triples'' you use
below are not allowable in RDF.

> i.e.
>
> if zipcode is a datatype property
> and SameStateAs is a property with range:zipcode, domain:zipcode
>   then saying

> SameStateAs is transitive is useful
>
> i.e.
>
> 20852 SameStateAs 20740
> 20740 SameStateAs 20861
>
> therefore
> 20852 SameStateAs 20861
>
> so I don't need an interstate shipping permit if sending a package
> between 20852 and 20861.
>   -JH
> p.s. note that I cannot actually define a zipcode in OWL based on the
> stuff about derived classes.  Assume, therefore, I just use
> xsd:nonNegativeInteger and am careful to use only legal zipcodes.
> --
> Professor James Hendler				  hendler@cs.umd.edu
> Director, Semantic Web and Agent Technologies	  301-405-2696
> Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab.	  301-405-6707 (Fax)
> Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-731-3822 (Cell)
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler

peter