Re: How burdensome are the OWL restrictions on metadata?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your quick reply.  Your description is exactly as I had
feared.

However, as any semi-practical person knows, attaching data to classes
and properties has absolutely no effect on the complexity class of the
ontology if that data isn't used in conjunction with the rest of the
ontology.
And of course, in ordinary usage, the data attached to classes and
properties
isn't used at all in inference, its just read by attached procedures.
My guess
is that if the major OWL architects had been more tuned in
to ordinary practice, they would have devised a set of rules saying
"Yes, its
OK to use metadata as long as you stay within certain boundaries."  For
example,
suppose properties with domain class or domain property are restricted
have range a subclass of literal.  Would that restriction keep the
complexity
of OWL-DL within bounds? (I don't happen to know).  That would be ugly,
but not more ugly than the owl:ObjectProperty/owl:DatatypeProperty hack.

Your DL book recommended using a extralogical "distinguished instance"
hook to
get the desired effect.   Not only is that contrary to the whole point
of knowledge-based
programming, but it probably encourages people to violate the dictum
that URI's
are supposed to be opaque.  I haven't been able to think of a way to
achieve the
desired effect without looking inside of URI's, can you?
The necessary hacks would probably permeate quite a bit of code.  For
example,
when we use Protege as our KA tool, the metadata shows right up
attached to
the classes and properties.  Editing that data is VERY convenient.
If we used the suggested "hook", none of the data would
have been visible, unless we hacked the Protege source code.

I take this as a strong indicator that the principal OWL architects did
not
bother with a requirements analysis before deciding on what to add and
what not to.  For example, attaching lexemes to classes/concepts seems
be a common, if not ubiquitous, practice among natural language
processing
systems.  Apparently all of the ontologies for these systems classify
as OWL-full.
I'm wondering if the huge body of Protege users were polled by the
committee
to see if they attach data to classes or slots.
But of course, the bulk of the DL designers and I have never seen
eye-to-eye (I say designers, since there is a legion of DL users that
appear to be quite happy with my viewpoint).

This is indeed a set-back for the Semantic Web.
My hope is that RULE-ML is a bit more generous in its outlook (I
haven't been paying close attention yet).

Cheers, Bob