Re: minor errors in WD-rdf-primer-20030905

Sven--

Sorry for the delay in responding to this message.  Thanks very much for
the detailed review.  I've generally accepted these as editorial changes
to the Primer (except as noted below, where I have some comments), and
will make the appropriate changes.

--Frank

Sven.Hartrumpf@fernuni-hagen.de wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Here are some small errors:
>
> made affect ->
> may affect
>
> property interpret ->
> properly interpret

This last one was fixed in the 10 October last call version.

> may not used ->
> may not be used
>
> as normatively defined in ->
> are normatively defined in
>
> provides no additional meaning that such a program can directly use ->
> ? the object referred to by "such a program" is unclear and very remote
>
> month, day, and year ->
> (illogical order; I know: some don't like logic :-) )

This is the way Americans write dates;  it has nothing to do with logic!
  I fear that a certain amount of tolerance for the linguistic
peculiarities of strange languages (like American) is going to be
necessary in applying RDF :-)  All the more reason to explicitly
identify the various components!

Slightly more seriously, this refers to the components of the
exterms:creation-date property in a previous example, and the components
are written in month, day, and year order ("August 16, 1999").

> later in this section). ->
> later in this section.)
>
> in explaining the example). ->
> in explaining the example.)

Regarding these last two, these parenthetical remarks are not intended
to be *independent* sentences, even though they have the form of
complete sentences, and hence the punctuation goes outside the
parentheses.  The alternative is to not only make the changes you
suggest, but also to capitalize the first word of the parenthetical
remark, and insert another period to complete the previous sentence.
I'd just as soon leave these alone, if you can stand it.

--Frank