Issue #williams-01 What is a node in an RDF graph?

At 17:48 20/02/2003 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

[...]

> > 2) Section 3.2 1st Para: (Picky)
> > Defines "Nodes in an RDF graph are URIs with... literals or blank..." ie.
> > states that one kind of RDF node is a "URI Reference". I'd prefer to see
> > language that said that and a node in an RDF graph may be labelled with a
> > URI reference that denotes/identifies the resource/thing which the node
> > represents.
> >
> > Suggested rewording:
> > "Nodes in an RDF are either literals, blank (having no separate form of
> > identification) or labelled with a URI Reference with optional fragment
> > identifiers."
> >
> > This has knock on effects on the next two para's which are written with the
> > tone that (some) nodes in an RDF graph *are* URI References rather the tone
> > that (some) nodes in an RDF graph are *labelled* with URI References.
>
>The issue of whether the nodes in the graph are labelled
>with uri references and/or literals or *are* uri references
>or literals has been discussed a number of times by the WG.
>Your suggestion here is different from any of the combinations
>we have discussed:
>  that literal nodes are literals
>  that uri reference nodes are labelled with uri references
>
>I am glad that the comment was not that some parts of the
>document took one point of view, and other parts the other.
>
>It would be helpful to the WG if you advocated a change
>with more force than "I'd prefer to see ...", or
>alternatively withdrew this. The WG has at different times
>considered different wordings, and so far preferred the
>current wording over alternatives
>(see for example the wording in:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-concepts-20020829/#section-Graph-Node
>)
>
>Partly we have found it advantageous to not need
>a discussion of tidiness.

Stuart,

This comment has been recorded in

   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#williams-01

The RDFCore WG will consider this comment and get back to you in due course.

Thank you for your efforts in reviewing the WG's documents.

Brian