Re: xml:base irrelevant to same document reference

Yes, it's awkward.

Sidestepping your main point, I'll note that rdf:nodeID isn't intended to
be like rdf:ID, and I think should be treated separately.  In particular,
there is no transformational relationship between a nodeId value and any
URI -- it is purely a local tag (bound identifier) within an RDF graph to
allow representation of some graphs that would otherwise be unserializable.

Concerning same-document references, I think the original text pre-dated
xml:base, and I've heard Roy Fielding say it was intended to address the
point that, in "normal web use", following a fragment identifier should not
cause multiple retrieval of the same document.  I've heard no indication
that "escaping" a feature like xml:base was explicitly part of the
intent.  I'm not sure if, given how things have evolved, there's any
entirely consistent treatment of xml:base (independently of RDF concerns).

#g
--

At 07:07 16/06/03 +0700, you wrote:
>Graham Klyne wrote:
>
>>The problematic "same document reference" wording from is proposed to be
>>revised in the forthcoming revision of RFC2396 [1] [2].  With this
>>change, I think that using xml:base is entirely consistent with RFC2396.
>
>Thanks for the pointers.  I see you have been through this issue
>exhaustively, but I have to say I am still left feeling a bit uneasy. The
>revised RFC2396 version still says "When a same-document reference is
>dereferenced for the purpose of a retrieval action, the target of that
>reference is defined to be within that current document or message; the
>dereference should not result in a new retrieval."  Consider the following
>XHTML:

>Even with the proposed RFC2396 revision, the second href will refer to the
>first href (at least I think so), whereas in the analagous case in RDF it
>will not.  Surely there is something wrong somewhere if XHTML and RDF
>behave inconsistently in this respect. And I have never come across
>another XML vocabulary that scopes IDs to the current base URI.
>
>James

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>