Re: [closed] pfps-07: Typed literals with lang tags

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Subject: [closed] pfps-07: Typed literals with lang tags
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:33:25 -0500

> Peter,
> re the question you raised
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0088.html
>
> the conditions have been rewritten to cover the cases of typed
> literals with lang tags, by specifying that they are equivalent in
> meaning to the similar literal without the lang tag for non-XML
> literals, and a paragraph has been added to the document summarizing
> the treatment of lang tags in literals of all three kinds (plain, XML
> typed and other typed).
>
> Please reply to this email, copying www-rdf-comments@w3.org indicating
> whether this decision is acceptable.
>
> pat

The changes appear to have fixed the specific issue I raised.

I note, however, that there are many changes to the RDF Semantics.  These
changes may have uncovered previously unnoticed issues and may themselves
have issues.  In particular, the difference between rdf:XMLLiteral and
other datatypes is now much more evident, to the point that rdf:XMLLiteral
isn't really a datatype at all.

I also note that there is a difference in terminology between RDF
Semantics, which correctly uses ``language tag'', and RDF Concepts, which
incorrectly uses ``language identifier''.

peter