Re: [closed] reagle-01 reagle-02 XMLLiterals and exc-c14n

On Friday 04 April 2003 15:55, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> Joe's original mail:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0335.html

That's actually:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/2003JanMar/0030.html

> to accept this issue and address it as proposed in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Mar/0151.html
> 1: Only reference the exclusive canonicalization rec.

Sounds good.

> 2: The syntax document specifies that the lexical form corresponding to
> the syntax rdf:parsetype="Literal"> XML content </ is the exclusive
> canonicalization with comments of that XML content. (With empty inclusive
> namespace prefix list)

So just to be very clear, the XML literal is exc-c14n as if it were its own
distinct fragment? So even if a namespace/prefix is declared above in the
RDF, it will be repeated in the XML literal.

> 5. the following implementation note is added to concepts:
> any other equivalent form.  As an example:
> literals with datatype <tt>rdf:XMLLiteral</tt>s can be represented
> in a non-canonical
> format, and canonicalization performed during the comparison between two
> such literals

The second fragment after the "and" confuses me.

> Joe, also note that we have not yet given detailed consideration to your
> comment "Confusion about wrapping of XMLLiteral"
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0434.html
>
> Now that we have removed all freedom in the syntax document, is this
> sufficiently clear (i.e. that the wrapping happens as part of the
> datatype mapping).
> Or would you like us to consider that comment further?

I still find this section confusing. For example, "The XML document
corresponding to a string str is formed as the XML document corresponding
to the pair (str, "")." This is a restatment of the earlier statement, "The
XML document corresponding to a pair ( str, lang ) is formed as follows:"
which leads to confusion.