Re: questions about rdfs:Datatype [Was: RE: Seeking normative definition of datatyping]

Roland--

Here's a try at answering your question:

When an RDF processor understands a datatype, the basic requirement is
that it be able to tell, given a literal and a URIref identifying the
datatype, whether or not the literal is a valid lexical form for that
datatype.  The RDF processor may also be able to do additional things,
depending on how much information it has available (or can get access
to) about the datatype, such as:

* determine, given two literals from the same datatype, whether they map
to the same value in that datatype

* determine, given two literals from different datatypes, whether they
map to the same value (it has to "understand" both datatypes, in that case)

This is covered in Section 3.4 of the RDF Semantics document;  that
section is currently being expanded somewhat to provide further details.

Based on the amount of "understanding" an RDF processor has of a
datatype or datatypes, an RDF graph may be extended with extra
information the processor can deduce via that added understanding (as
described in the Semantics document), e.g., a subclass relationship
between datatypes.  However, keep in mind that this "understanding" is
not defined by RDF;  it must be built into RDF software that reflects
the meaning of the datatype involved.  You should also note that the
"understanding"" of a datatype we talk about in RDF is far less than you
would expect for the "understanding" required for a datatype in a
programming language (where the set of operations associated with the
datatype must also be understood).

--Frank