Re: questions about rdfs:Datatype [Was: RE: Seeking normative definition of datatyping]

Brian McBride wrote:

> At 12:39 03/12/2002 -0500, Art.Barstow@nokia.com wrote:
>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> > From: ext Brian McBride [mailto:bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com]
>> > I'm not sure what you are looking for here Art.  The primer
>> > is (we hope)
>> > informative.  I think you can rely on the examples it provides.  We
>> > certainly haven't put in any that we know to be wrong.
>>
>> My point is that M&S defined 15-20 normative examples.  Whereas the
>> Primer defines 0 normative examples; the Syntax examples in section 2
>> are "informal".  I think normative examples are important (for copying,
>> referencing, etc.) so I don't see the current situation as a step
>> forward.
>

> A concern I have about examples has been my past experience where folks
> have over interpreted them.  The thing about examples is that they may
> appeal to people's intuitions and that is risky in a normative spec.
>
> Do you have a specific need for normative examples or are you suggesting
> in general that they are a 'good thing'.  I guess I'm not clear why they
> have to be normative.

It seems to me a question in this context is what does "normative
example" really mean (or, alternatively, what are we saying when we
define a "normative example").  Perhaps Art could expand on his
requirements a bit.  Certainly the examples in M&S were "normative
examples" in the sense that they were contained in a normative
specification.  Since I wasn't involved in creating those examples, I'm
not sure if there was any additional intended meaning or not.  By this
definition, the examples in the Syntax doc could be made normative
(since this is a normative document) by removing any words that indicate
the examples are less-than-normative (e.g., words like "informal").
What Art seems to be getting at is some additional meaning, like
examples that have been specially checked for correctness, examples that
illustrate intended correct usage or best practice, etc.  (I suppose by
these sorts of criteria, only the complete examples in the Syntax doc
would be considered normative, since some of the examples are explicitly
indicated as being incomplete).  As Brian noted, we try to make all our
examples "correct" in some sense, but the sense differs (e.g., the
complete examples in the Syntax doc should all be correct RDF/XML, the
examples in the Primer should be correct RDF graphs or triples, or
correct RDF/XML, depending on the syntax used, and so on), but I don't
know about additional meaning (like they are necessarily best practice).
  I don't know that we necessarily have examples illustrating every
feature in RDF either.

--Frank