Re: context (comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-schema-20021112/)

>I have consistently used the same definition of context
>(<http://rhm.cdepot.net/doc/KEtutorial.txt>http://rhm.cdepot.net/doc/KEtutorial.txt)
>     space = where action occurs
>+  time = when action occurs
>+  view = proposition list which captures prior knowledge

Well, OK, but that is a very odd collection of disparate kinds of
thing,  seems to me, which have very little in common (and very
little in common with the other uses of that word in other, er,
contexts). What is the connection between actions and propositions,
for example? And in the first two cases, where are the spatiotemporal
boundaries drawn? Take this email conversation that we are having and
other people are maybe reading: what is the space where that action
is occurring?

>Depending of the context of the discussion, I sometimes emphasized
>one of space/time/view,
>but my definition has not changed.
>
>I am fully aware that others do not agree on a definition of
>context.  You and I attended the same
>Context Symposium at MIT in 1997.

I recall. Things havn't gotten any better, you know.

But more seriously, we can't be expected to use *your* definition of
context in a language intended for general Web use all over the
planet. If we try to use a 'general' notion of context we will
dissolve into smoke. And in any case, the purely functional
requirements of distributed knowledge-processing architecture require
that we reduce such contextuality as much as possible. Take your
second example, where a sentence's truth depends on the 'context' of
the document in which it occurs, and ask yourself what happens when
parts of such documents are being distributed across optical fiber,
processed, inferences drawn from them, conclusions archived and then
re-transmitted arbitrarily long times later, and used in other
contexts far from their original source. If meaning depends on
contexts which can vanish in microseconds, as they will in the SW,
then meaning becomes meaningless.

Pat