Re: RDF Concepts and formal inference paths ?

Seth,

I agree that "no formal inference path" might include non-RDF inferences,
and that one might define 'B:oneOfThem' in such a way that there is a
formal inference.

But, in this case, I think the use of English text in an rdfs:comment to
convey the intended meaning makes any formal inference path rather unlikely.

#g
--

At 06:53 AM 10/18/02 -0700, Seth Russell wrote:
>RE  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002Oct/0048.html
>Where it is written that:
>[[
>To emphasize this, suppose that B had failed to use rdfs:subClassOf and
>instead had tried to use his own term:
>B:Comic B:oneOfThem  <http://insult.com/lexicon#Clown> .
>B:oneOfThem rdfs:comment "This means the same as rdfs:subClassOf" .
>then in spite of the clear social meaning of the comment, there would be
>no formal inference path from this, taken with the A and C publications,
>to anything that could be found insulting; so even if C had intended to
>bad-mouth the person C:JohnSmith, B's stupidity would have thwarted him.
>]]
>
>Shouldn't that read that there is no formal inference path *sanctioned by
>the RDF Model theory* from this, ....
>
>We certainly can make our inference path be any formal rules we choose.
>Our inference engine could follow the rules for B:oneOfThem just as easily
>as it could follow the  rules for rdfs:subClassOf and the inferences will
>be just as formal.  The only variable is  that we cannot claim endorsement
>of that formality from the W3C Model Theory.
>... just my humble opinion.
>
>Seth Russell

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>