W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2015

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-11-05

From: <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:16:03 +0000
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <563B80C3.3040300@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2015/11/05-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

05 Nov 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Nov/0000.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/05-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, felix, richard, JcK

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]Action Items
          4. [8]Info Share
          5. [9]Radar
          6. [10]TPAC results
          7. [11]Timed Text
          8. [12]bidi in WebVTT
          9. [13]Data on the Web BP
         10. [14]AOB?
      * [15]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Info Share

Action Items

    <r12a> [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-358?

    <trackbot> action-358 -- Felix Sasaki to Retire requirements
    for its 2.0 -- due 2014-11-06 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/358

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/358

    just changing status, convert to respec?

    need a volunteer?

    close action-414

    <trackbot> Closed action-414.

    close action-474

    <trackbot> Closed action-474.

    close action-475

    <trackbot> Closed action-475.

    action-478?

    <trackbot> action-478 -- Felix Sasaki to Solicit input from
    xliff, its, bpmlod about json/plain text i18n metadata -- due
    2015-10-22 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/478

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/478

    close action-478

    <trackbot> Closed action-478.

Info Share

    <r12a> [19]http://w3c.github.io/tlreq/

      [19] http://w3c.github.io/tlreq/

    richard: started updating tibetan layout requirements
    ... aim to get to fpwd sooner than later
    ... writing in english
    ... will translate to chinese
    ... taking info from own article
    ... may publish once consolidated
    ... give people something to look at

Radar

    [20]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    [21]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    Encoding

    richard: james from ttwf
    ... redesign the tests i was working on
    ... sends information via form to another document
    ... and tests how encoded
    ... working on euc-jp
    ... still doesn't work on edge or IE
    ... sends in utf-8

    addison: because it is in the url?

    richard: form sends as a get to an iframe
    ... some movement on making @dir isolating

TPAC results

    richard: I have some notes
    ... felix may want to add notes
    ... on monday
    ... find-text discussion
    ... went through issues
    ... not much to report
    ... happy with github, hope to set up notifications
    ... went to web platform room
    ... after lunch, continued with find-text
    ... felix talked about potential collaboration

    felix: work close to later agenda item
    ... json metadata and such

    addison: not clear on the linkage?

    felix: annotation model
    ... not so much find-text

    richard: tuesday, andrew sullivan appeared

    <fsasaki> [ slides I presented to the annotation folks during
    TPAC: see
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/its2-and-web-annotation/?full#1 ]

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2015/10/its2-and-web-annotation/?full#1

    richard: david singer
    ... long discussion
    ... david is going to continue working on his article
    ... TLD issues or some such
    ... may become IDN issues
    ... going to set up a repo in github
    ... understands the issues
    ... afternoon cl req
    ... discussed status
    ... committed to some things, such as the previously mentioned
    tibetan
    ... talked about chinese, working through issues
    ... mongolian stuff
    ... bobby had a list of issues
    ... related to bopomofo tone marks
    ... new issues related to generic style sheet font families for
    chinese
    ... concerned about baseline alignment
    ... character grid work florian resurrected
    ... asked him to document

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping bobby about documenting issues
    raised at tpac [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-479 - Ping bobby about documenting
    issues raised at tpac [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-11-12].

    richard: TR redesign
    ... talked about the things addison and I discussed
    ... thursday
    ... encoding spec tests
    ... friday
    ... further jl req and cl req dicussion
    ... implementers from goog, aapl, etc. present
    ... friday pm had webvtt comment review
    ... sat down with simon
    ... worked through all webvtt comments
    ... discussion of bidi, resolved in five minutes ;-)
    ... went to bibliostyle dinner
    ... interested in e-books and such
    ... use of CSS rather than xsl-fo

Timed Text

    [24]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2015O
    ctDec/0052.html

      [24] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2015OctDec/0052.html

    addison: please review charter for next week

bidi in WebVTT

    richard: discussing best way to do it
    ... declarative approach (put base direction at top of doc)
    ... then have a way to override
    ... problem is that paragraphs or lines hard to see how to
    apply a different direction
    ... only way to do controls
    ... use first strong heuristics
    ... what confused about is how would work for paras inside a
    cue
    ... only look at first character
    ... spec wasn't clear about what happens
    ... two ways to determine base direction
    ... one for cue itself
    ... suc has text-align start
    ... other is on a paragraph basis
    ... use first character to dtermine direction of cue as a box
    ... not clear in spec or not said
    ... use first char of each line/para to determine direction
    ... also going to make short summaries of algorithms
    ... additional examples so you can get an idea of webvtt is
    like
    ... and some other things
    ... adding railroad diagrams

Data on the Web BP

    <fsasaki>
    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2015O
    ctDec/0046.html

      [25] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2015OctDec/0046.html

    felix: reviewing data on the web bp
    ... see email above
    ... far from defining technology
    ... used to define requirements for people to produce or
    consume data on the Web
    ... not specific to a format
    ... context is used for produrement
    ... used to define input for procurement
    ... have more prominent mention of language related issues
    ... needs metadata
    ... locale (date, time, etc.)
    ... metadata in multiple languages
    ... some opportunity to mention multilingual metadata
    ... sometimes too labor intensive to publish
    ... enhancement of data/enrichment
    ... *very* high level comments

    <r12a>
    [26]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

      [26] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

    richard: review the review instructions

AOB?

    richard: on webvtt
    ... need to start closing
    ... need to ensure comments point to the right places
    ... will ping you (addison) to see if we agree

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping bobby about documenting issues
    raised at tpac [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 5 November 2015 16:16:14 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:09 UTC