Re: Draft for review: Personal names around the world

On 30/07/2011 16:23, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> some small things. I save the big things for another mail.
>
> typography throughout the article:
> Occasionly, ' U+0027 is used for apostrophe or opening or closing single
> quotation mark. Be consisitent, use the good ones: ‘ U+2018 for opening
> single quotation mark, ’ U+2019 for apostrophe and closing single
> quotation mark. (BTW, the usage of the typographically right characters
> not only looks better to the reader, it also avoids trouble with
> escaping when ' (or ") has special meaning in the markup or programming
> language.)

Hmm. In principle I agree. It's just hard to do that with the editor and
keyboard i use.

> section Given name and patronymic
> <http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#patronymic>
> Only the second paragraph makes clear what names the first paragraph is
> about. I suggest to add 'Icelandic': In the Icelandic name Björk
> Guðmundsdóttir …

Done.

> You might want to indicate that 'son' means son and 'dóttir' means
> daughter. (The first is obvious, the latter easy to guess – to speakers
> of other Germanic languages like English and German. But the article
> might get translated into non-Germanic languages in the future.)

Not done.

> section Different order of parts
> <http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#partorder>
> It might not be the best idea to italicize Chinese ideographs '毛泽东'.

I think it's ok here.

> I don’t fully get the intention why the Latin transcriptions like 'mao
> ze dong' are spelled in lower case.

Fixed.

> section Multiple family names
> <http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#multiplefamily>
>
> 'Maria-Jose' shold probably be spelled with accent mark: 'María-Jose'.

Fixed.

> section Variant word forms
> <http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#variants>
> 'Никола́евич' shold surely be spelled without accent mark: 'Николаевич'.

Fixed.

> section Mixing it up
> <http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names#mixing>
> Were the diacritical marks in 'ie. Mr. Dung, not Mr. Nguyen' left off on
> purpose?

Fixed.

> Gunnar

Thanks!
RI

--
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011
http://multilingualweb.eu/register