RE: Comment on working draft "Specifying Language in XHTML and HTML Content"

Mark,

I think I understand what you are looking for in (a).  I had thought that Section 2 Why specify language? would fulfill that role, but it doesn't mention the difference between text-processing and metadata, which is fairly crucial to a good answer, but hasn't yet been introduced.  At the same time, people need to know at an early stage why they should read further.

So I'm thinking to retitle section 2 as "Why read this document?"  and add a small section before the current 4.1 with the title "Why specify language" that echos some of section 2 wrt text-processing declarations, and uses the first para of section 4.2.2 for the metadata.

We do already include the info about the current value of attribute declarations and metadata declarations in BP 1 and BP 9, respectively.

As for your question (b), the answer is that the attributes in html take precedence over the HTTP header information according to the spec and in practice, and the meta element declaration is a completely ineffective squib as far as I'm aware.

Although we have references that explicitly mention precedence, I was surprised to find no mention of it in the BPs.  I'll add a short para in a couple of places.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)