RE: Comment on working draft "Specifying Language in XHTML and HTML Content"

I think that might be proposed for XHTML2, but for HTML 4.01 the spec rather
vaguely says,
"The hreflang attribute provides user agents with information about the
language of a resource at the end of a link, just as the lang attribute
provides information about the language of an element's content or attribute
values."

Note that it says 'provides user agents', rather than 'provides the server'.
The spec also provides an example where search engines can find a translated
versions of a document at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.3.3 but I think that's
down to the application or browser reading the hreflang info, rather than
retrieving resources using the Accept-Language header.

I don't know of any browser that uses hreflang information.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)