MIME links [was: self-contained html file format]

-- Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> > It seems to me that it would be immensely useful to have some standard
> > scheme for storing an html document along with all of its external data
> > (such as images) in a single file.
>
> This is already handled by some types of multipart MIME documents (where you
> can link to sub-parts from other sub-parts), iirc.

MIME allows for embedding multiple parts into one WHOLE part.
However, linking one part to another is not handled (up to my knowledge) and is left up to the
viewer.

For example, you can embed an HTML file along with all of its images into one MIME container.
When viewing the container, the viewer (a person in this case) has to view the HTML file and each
image alone, not together.

For sure this can help in Boris's case, but it is not complete. There is a lack of some
specification of how to link a MIME part to other MIME parts. By doing so, a MIME viewer (a tool
in this case), will be able to fetch some MIME parts and display them inside another MIME part of
the same MIME container.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards,

Victor