Re: MIME links [was: self-contained html file format]

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:58:15 -0800 (PST), Vix <vixcc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> MIME allows for embedding multiple parts into one WHOLE part.
> However, linking one part to another is not handled (up to my knowledge)
> and is left up to the viewer.

Yes it it. While the MIME specs (RFCs 2045-49) doesn't cover internal
references, an early extension added the multipart/related content type
(RFC 2387). Look up "Content-ID and Message-ID Uniform Resource Locators"
(RFC 2392), with the corresponding mid: and cid: schemes. The latter
enables you to refer to any MIME part.

"MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents, such as HTML (MHTML)" (RFC
2557) brought it all together. The examples can be instructive, for
instance <http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2557/Output/chapter9.html#sub5>.

--
Jonny Axelsson,
Web Standards,