From: Josh Haberman [mailto:joshua@haberman.com]
Sent: Wed 1/22/2003 12:01 PM
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: self-contained html file format

 HTML is probably the most portable document display format after plain
 text.  However, its use as a document exchange and archival format is
 diminished by the inability to embed binary data, most significantly
 images.

 It seems to me that it would be immensely useful to have some standard
 scheme for storing an html document along with all of its external data
 (such as images) in a single file.  It could use some archival format
 such as .zip or .tar, some standard file extension like .zhtml, and some
 standard mime type like application/zhtml.  The benefit would be that
 .zhtml would be a self-contained document instead of a metadocument
 containing some of the content but linking to the rest.

 Thoughts?  I am not subscribed, please CC me on replies.

 Josh Haberman