viewable vs downloadble attachment links

Hi folks,

It I include an attachment link

HREF=http://company.com/docs/word.doc

Browsers launches the Word application and shows the document. So
I call it a viewable attachment link.

BUT if file size is too big, I want browser should not launch application,
rather it should allow to download this file. I know, one would say put it
on FTP.
BUT, Is there any way I can allow user to download without putting on
FTP. I mean using the href=http://... link.

regards,
-ravi