Re: cutting to the chase

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 19:29 -0700, John Hudson wrote:
> Thomas Lord wrote:
>
> > These conclusions from the discussion seem
> > correct to me:
>
> And totally wrong to me.

So let's find out.

>  Your 'cutting to the chase' looks to me like a
> clumsy attempt to push things in a specific direction by ignoring the
> work that many people on this list are trying to do to build consensus
> on a wrapper format and/or EOTL variant among genuine stakeholders.

After several hundred mail messages that
discussion has failed to find consensus on
even the most basic principles.

> The
> idea that there is 'rough consensus' on TTF/OTF when neither Microsoft
> nor most professional font makers

"most professional font makers" is both in
dispute and not obviously relevant in the absence
of ANY proposal that they agree with and around
which the potential for consensus is clear.

>  will support or license fonts for use

Ok, so the Recommendation won't succeed in
making those fonts available on the web.
Oh well.  It will succeed in making other fonts
more useful on the web.

> in naked format on the web is laughable.

No, it's not laughable.  No alternative is
emerging and if their only remaining objection
is "we won't play", well, that's not much of an
objection in the long view.

>  There is far less consensus on
> TTF/OTF than there is on either something like .webfont/ZOT or even
> EOTL, as all the discussion of the past few days demonstrates.

TTF/OTF is widely implemented and used.

The others you mention or sketchy ideas about which
there is not even an agreed upon meaning, nevermind
and actual implementation.

-t