RE: FW: EOT-Lite File Format

Friday, July 31, 2009 Robert Callahan Robert@ocallahan.org:

>How do you expect authors to comply with your EULA requirement for access control, for IE<=8 users?

Rob,

I didn’t interpret Ascender’s response to your questions about their EULAS as *requiring* access control.

According to Bill Davis’s previous post, the language in their EULA is, at present:

“reasonably restricts access to Font Software for use in any way by web pages not originating from the CUSTOMER Web Server (For example; by using referrer checking to prevent hotlinking or deeplinking).”

Well, what’s reasonable?

Once user agents that support EOTL are out in the market enforcing same-origin restrictions, it seems quite reasonable for me to do nothing at all at the server level except let those browsers do their thing and *not* specifically enable linking in the htaccess file.

And I think this would be a more effective example than referrer checking.

Lawyers!

Regards,

rich