RE: The unmentionable

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 22:04 -0500, Bill Davis wrote:
> [...]

It's not your bad.  I ticked off Sylvain accidentally a
ways back and we've had some difficulties keeping
civil tongues in both directions since then.  I think
it's actually getting better but I won't leap to that
conclusion just yet.

> Even though this thread had quite a few twists & turns, I do want to thank
> you all for explaining in detail the various issues and the reasoning behind
> some of the decisions that have been made. The security issues, especially
> with fonts, need careful consideration.

> I think that the two examples of rationale for same-origin restrictions
> which Thomas Lord pointed out (helping to protect the bandwidth of servers
> offering fonts, and helping to protect users from malicious fonts) do make
> sense, and I will keep this in mind as we move forward with a web font
> solution.

Off we go!  I think we're almost "done" with
the conceptual work.  Hard questions remain about:

1) The reality of the backwards-compat promise
of EOT-lite.

2) Whether to also endorse (require?) a format
with new meta-data like .webfont / the mime-wrapper

2.1) If so, then why the mime-wrapper approach
to coding the .webfont accomplishments is better
than .webfont itself to such an extent that we have
to go that way.  :-).  Obviously I'm a little biased
on that one.

Things can still go badly wrong if there's a big
split on (1) or (2) so, note the mixers, there's
where to (try to) stick your wedge.

-t