Re: Merits and deficiencies of EOT Lite

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> While Adobe does use CFF fonts (and has expressed that it has no
> interest in releasing in any other format), I believe most foundries
> distribute in TTF, at least as an option.  (I know that all or nearly
> all of the fonts on my computer are TTF.)  So any issues with CFF
> fonts are at most minor in the short term.

Sorry, I don't think you can make that assumption. The professional
graphic design market for commercially licensed fonts is heavily
invested in PostScript, as are the foundries that primarily cater to
that market.

In the field of custom font development, the format depends on the needs
and budget of the client (I charge less for CFF font development than
for TTF because the hinting model is very much simpler and design tools
favour working with cubic beziers).

John Hudson