Re: EOT-Lite clarification

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>wrote:

> > I do not see why one would even have to check that rootstring is null.
> > Would it be easier just ignore it no matter what (if anything) is in
> > there? And, if this is what the spec say browser should do (i.e. ignore
> > rootstring), I don't see anything wrong with it, it just makes
> > implementer's life easier.
>
> I'd think anyone who licenses EOT-Classic fonts (as opposed to EOT-Lite)
> expects the rootstring to be enforced. Even if Monotype doesn't care it
> would be quick check, combined with a file extension, indicating that
> you're dealing with a valid EOT-Lite file and can go straight to the font
> data. No MTX compression or any other legacy feature in your way.

IMHO EOT-Lite would be more attractive specified as "clients should ignore
rootstrings, but apply a same-origin check + CORS" than with "clients must
reject a non-null rootstring, but apply a same-origin check + CORS" ...
because it enables the deployment scenario where access is controlled with a
rootstring for IE<=8 and same-origin + CORS for other browsers. I believe
that is the best deployment scenario that is compatible with IE<=8.

If the ignore-rootstrings version of EOT-Lite is untenable due to concerns
over EOT-Classic fonts, then we need to hear that now.

Rob
53:5-6]