Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

Yes ~ the real point is that font foundries and vendors have most of the
influence on what gets added to the OTF spec. If *they* want an EEULA
table as part of that spec, and can come to consensus on the fields it
would hold, I see no reason why an EEULA table wouldn't be included as
part of *that* spec.

Then, as part of that spec, we would have a table to hold  a machine
readable license, different sets of embedding bits (for document, web,
pdf, e-book, etc, use) - fields to hold such data as serial number and
so on, and whatever else font foundries and vendors think they need, all
held right in the font.

It would then be up to those producing applications such as browsers
whether or not to recognise such a table, how to expose to users any
metadata it contained, and whether or not and how to enforce the
electronically readable license terms embedded there.

With OTF linking, at least the specification of the font file format
remains more or less in the hands of those who produce fonts. OTOH if
those font producers decide they want, and insist on a web-specific font
format, then the specification of that format necessarily includes many
more players.

- Chris