Re[4]: Protecting WebFonts

From: Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1976 07:20:34 -0700
To: www-font@w3.org
At 1:18a +0200 08/27/96, Erik van Blokland wrote:
>Webfonts are things that primarily need to create bitmap images on
>screens across the world. Most usage will be on screen. Print is another
>issue that can be solved separately(*) already.

>A webfonts system that provides the possibility to deliver appropriate
>pixelfonts to the client, without enabling access to outlines is the best
>solution for the time being.

So, why not just make the bitmaps available and charge for the outlines?
That's how all the font CDs work -- you pay to unlock the outlines, but
all the bitmaps are already accessible. All we really need is some URLs
pointing to bitmap archives. (Last time I checked, Adobe's "/fonts/"
directory was empty save for a little message indicating that someday it
might actually contain something...)

-Walter                                               (*)spellfixed :-)