Re: Proposal: Font Use Modelling

>On Aug 9,  3:23pm, Tiro TypeWorks wrote:
>
>> I propose (and I'll let everyone else decide who is best placed to implement
>> such a proposal) that time should be taken to build a series of models of
>> current font usage, detailing how fonts are purchased and used by different
>> market groups, how fonts are likely to be used by such groups in the future,

Chris Lilley:

>And by other groups. It is the community who do not currently use fonts now but
>wish to in the future that is the growth area.

Maybe something of what John (Tiro) meant was not picked up, or perhaps I'm just
bringing my viewpoint to it, there is a fundamental difference between people
who use type to view documents (currently everyone who can read) and those that
use type to author documents.

From my perspective I'd like to see that differentiation maintained, fonts for
viewing and fonts for authoring should be two different things, and the former
should not be able to be converted into the latter.

ie ink on paper cannot be changed into a digital font without a substantial time
investment.

TruDoc goes some way towards this but IMO isn't *the* answer.

-- Clive