Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> >Sigh.  One of the "last call" comments from me is to get DTD
> >support into L2 -- and not hold things up any longer for schemas.
>
> We don't have any design yet for the DTD support.

Hmm, I sure thought some DTD proposals had been made; enough folk
have talked about "old DTD proposals".  I could make one on fairly
short notice, if need be.

>	 We could hold up L2 for as
> long as it takes to bang out that design, or we can let L2 continue and then
> release L3 as quickly as we can manage it. I think the latter will give you
> schema support at about the same date, and let folks start using the L2 features
> in the meantime.

I don't see a rush for getting L2 out; I'd rather see it out with
the features it needs.  And I'd far rather see a decent job be done
on DTDs in the next month or two, and cause a slight delay in L2 DOM
(and time pressure to keep it slight!), than to see most of a year
pass before L3 happens.  L3 is sure to have all kinds of other stuff
going on.

- Dave