Re: Obsolescence notices on old specifications, again

On 1/25/2012 4:53 PM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> Ian Hickson wrote: [1]
>
>     On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>     >
>     > as a reminder, as editor of several documents for the Web
>     Applications
>     > and HTML Working Group, you agreed to follow the W3C Process, as
>     well as
>     > following the HTML Decision Policy of the HTML Working Group. If
>     this is
>     > no longer the case, you should let the Chairs of those Groups
>     aware of
>     > this,
>
>     The chairs of both groups, as well as yourself, and Jeff, are
>     fully aware
>     of this already.

Let me say what I am fully aware of:

1. Ian has fundamental disagreements with the way that the W3C process
works.  He has been very clear about that.

2. Nonetheless, for situations that he is wearing his hat as Editor
within a W3C Working Group, he agrees to follow the W3C Process.  Part
of the reason is a mutual desire to have HTML work proceed both in W3C
(under its process) and WHATWG (under its process), and to keep HTML 5
as aligned as possible with HTML LS.

3. There is already a consensus that some of the points that he has made
about standardization processes are good points - although not for the
goals of W3C Working Groups.  Many of these points have been adopted for
W3C Community Groups which has different objectives.

4. On the whole, the Chairs have reported to me that they are satisfied
that Ian has fulfilled the commitments (point 2 above) to follow the W3C
Process.  There have been exceptions which (to date) we have
successfully worked through.

5. Ian is so much "bought in" to W3C, that on one occasion where he
thought the Chairs had made a mistake, he actually escalated the Chairs'
decision to the W3C CEO.  (nb., after a brief discussion between the
CEO, Chairs, and Editor - all agreed that the Chairs and Editor would
resolve the issue and the CEO did not enter the HTML 5 Decision Process.)

>     --
>     Ian Hickson
>

> So, a working group member who plays a pivotal role does not agree
> to follow the W3C Process, as well as follow the HTML Decision Policy
> of the HTML Working Group.

Hence Ian has been following the W3C Process.