Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-131 caret-location-api

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
> >
> > As a Mozilla developer, I would not make caret and selection tracking
> > for canvas a priority until it's clear that discouraging authors from
> > implementing text editing in canvas has failed.
>
> (And even then, we'd have to examine the reasons why authors were
> insisting on writing text editors in canvas. If it's "because they're
> boneheads", asking them to use special accessibility APIs is probably
> pointless.)

It's also pointless if the real reason is "the more appropriate API is
inadeqate", as was the case with Bespin originally (IIRC, they wanted a
way to do syntax highlighting, which they viewed as being as hard using
contenteditable="" as using <canvas>, and which is impossible with
<textarea>). In such a case it would be better to fix the appropriate API
rather than canvas as well.